Hello, pals! I’m so excited to show you how to make simple drawstring bag from scraps for sewing idiots like us. I’m not a professional seamstress at all. But it wasn’t a hassle creating one.
How to make simple drawstring bag
To start, here’s what you need:
- Sewing machine
- 2 pieces of cloth approximately 24 cm x 20 cm
- Pin cushions and pins
- 2 pcs of ribbon or strips of nice cloth around 1,5 m each
- Sewing chalk / crayon / wax for outlining
1. You need to place the cloth with the print facing each other. Pin the edges on the sides and the lower part of the cloth. For the upper side, leave 4 cm distance from the top edge.
2. Measure 4 cm from the top side of the cloth and create an outline or line to know where your cloth could be inserted once this part is sewn.
3. Fold these parts. Make sure the fold reaches the outline you marked before.
4. Place pins on this side.
5. Prepare your sewing machine. You can use simple straight stitch. But for mine, I’d like to use an overlook stitch. If you’re not familiar with basic sewing stitches, click here. Sew the side parts and the lower part. This forms the bag. Leave the top part for now.
6. This time, sew the folded parts. When you sew, make sure you leave at least a centimeter from the seam. I used simple straight stitch. You may refer to the list of sewing stitches from the link I placed in #5.
7. Reverse the bag. Make sure the cloth is in place especially in the ends.
8. Insert the ribbon or strips of cloth from the left side. Using your safety pin, insert your cloth with the attached pin in the front part. The other end should be inserted in the left side. But this time, at the back hole.
9. Same thing in the right side. The end of your ribbon or cloth should be inserted in right hole, front side. The other end at the back hole, right side.
10. Tie the ribbons to secure the lock. For mine, I tied it as if I’m tying a ribbon. Cute, right?
11. Place stuff inside. Then pull on the sides. It should look like this.
How do you find this project? Isn’t it cute? Make yours as simple but cute as possible. Remember, I’m not a professional seamstress and I learned basic sewing. But I was able to make this. So you can do to! 🙂